cc-be - Re: [Cc-be] international copyright -licenses

cc-be AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons - Belgium

  • From: Pieter Roosens <pieter AT roosensdesign.com>
  • To: cc-be AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-be] international copyright -licenses
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 14:36:59 +0200

Hi Sigri,

I am not a lawyer, but I think the first thing to know is if no one of the artists is a member of Sabam or Buma or any other copyright society. Because if they are, they are probably not allowed to do this. Also if they have already published unregistered material on the net (like Myspace, Youtube, etc.), you have no view on possible registration by someone else. So I guess it would be preferable to use unpublished material only.

Hope this helps already a bit.
Kind regards,
Pieter

Op 19-sep-07, om 14:09 heeft Saima Sigris het volgende geschreven:

Hi there,

My name is Sigri and I work for Friends of the Earth Belgium. We making a world-music-cd with Friends of
the Earth and now we are looking for suitable licenses and international copyright for all the songs.

We have a number of songs in a compilation cd of indie music from artists around the world. We have personal
contacts with all the artists and most of them have never copyrighted their music before.
Do any of you have some experience with publishing music internationally or in Belgium?

I was wondering if any of you would know;
If our cd would have the CreativeCommons license only, and no other copyright licenses, could
we then sell and distribute the cd in different countries, e.g. Belgium or Holland, without getting into conflicts with the national copyright societies?

Feel free to ask questions!

Sigri
sigrisauna AT gmail.com
0032 488 410 976