cc-be - [Cc-be] Sabam

cc-be AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons - Belgium

  • From: "Michel Berghs" <michel.berghs AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-be AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-be] Sabam
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 19:04:04 +0100

Hello CC Belgium,
I have a question regarding CC-music and Sabam. In the first half of
2006 I organised with my non-profit organisation (MUP) 6 parties (free
entrance). On these parties I only played music that I downloaded from
archive.org, all songs coming with a CC-license. Sabam did a short
inspection on 2 parties. A half year later they sent a bill for the
six parties.
Question: does playing songs fall under the CC-license, is it a form
of distribution, or is it an apart form that falls under Sabam
restrictions? If an artist is a member of Sabam, but publishes a song
under the CC-license, can I play this song without paying Sabam? If
not, what's the use of this license, that tells that you can
distribute this song for free (in the presumption that playing is
distributing)?
In other words: do I have to pay Sabam?

Thank you for your cooperation,
Michel Berghs,
chairman vzw. MUP
website: www.netlabelism.net

--
Jedermann sein eigner Fussball !

www.netlabelism.net
www.radioscorpio.com/netwaves
www.archive.org/details/netwaves

+32 484 61 80 87

  • [Cc-be] Sabam, Michel Berghs, 11/24/2006