cc-be - Re: [Cc-be] Q6. Future forms of exploitation

cc-be AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons - Belgium

  • From: Wouter Vanden hove <wouter.vanden.hove AT pandora.be>
  • To: cc-be AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-be] Q6. Future forms of exploitation
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:31:52 +0100

Hannelore Dekeyser wrote:
Q6. Future forms of exploitation

Art. 3 ยง1 alinea 6 of the Copyright law states that contracts whereby the author transfers his rights with regard to unknown forms of exploitation are void.

With CC the author doesn't *transfer* his copyright, therefore I don't understand why this clause would apply to CC-licenses.

The original CCPL says "The above rights may be exercised in all media and formats whether now known or hereafter devised."

The BE-CCPL limits this to media and formats known today.

I asked the same questions on the CC-NL list in July.
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-nl/2004-July/000013.html :

"Wat wordt bedoeld met "bestaande media en formats"?
1) de media die bestaan op het moment dat de originele ateur dit werk
onder CC-licentie plaatst.
2) of het moment waarop een gebruiker de licentie leest. (dit kan 50
jaar later zijn)"

The BE-CCPL limits this to media and formats known today.
When is "today"?

Since the license is valid for the whole duration of the copyright term,
life +70, I would interpret "today" as *any day* within that duration.

> New formats don't imply new forms of exploitation either.
Exactly.

Wouter Vanden Hove
vrijschrift.org
gutenberg.nl