cc-be - [Cc-be] Q3. a "Collective work"

cc-be AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons - Belgium

  • From: Severine Dusollier <severine.dusollier AT fundp.ac.be>
  • To: cc-be AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-be] Q3. a "Collective work"
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:31:51 +0100

Title: [Cc-be] Q3. a "Collective work"
We have hesitated a lot about using the terminology "collective work". We first tried to find another term, so as to avoid a possible confusion with the French notion of collective work. Finally, because it seemed more complicated to find a term both accurate and not confusing, we decided to keep "collective work" and hope that the definition appearing in the license would clear all confusion with the French notion.
We have also thought to use a phrase similar to what you proposed, that insists on the sepcific meaning of the term. We will think about it when drafting the final version.
As to the database, using the term seems to me even more confusing, since that term is defined in a Belgian law and does not cover the same notion that the "collective work" refereed to in the original CC license.

Séverine

Question 3. a "Collective work"

Out of curiosity, why do you explicitely refer to the definition of a
collective work made by the French Code of Intellectual Property?

Isn't this confusing for users?

Also, there are other terms you might *not* want  a collective work to
refer to.
For instance a database in the sense of art. 20 bis of the Copyright law
of June 30th, 1994 and art. 2 of the Database law
  of August 31st, 1998.

Could you achieve the same goal by writing: "the term Collective work
has a specific meaning in this licence, namely a work..."

Hannelore