cc-be - [Cc-be] Q5 You: exercising rights vs using work

cc-be AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons - Belgium

  • From: Hannelore Dekeyser <hannelore.dekeyser AT law.kuleuven.ac.be>
  • To: cc-be AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-be] Q5 You: exercising rights vs using work
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:54:38 +0100

Q5. You

I guess this question is related to my second question about accepting the licence.

art. 1 f) You

CCPL: "You" means an individual or entity exercising rights under this licence...
BE-CCPL: "You" means an individual or entity using the work in a way covered by any rights under this Licence...

Why is there a shift from exercising rights to using the work?

In my opinion the original wording is much compacter and legible for non-lawyers.

Keeping in mind the goal to keep the utmost similarity between the licenses worldwide, why not just say:
BE-CCPL.nl*: Met "U" wordt de natuurlijke persoon of rechtspersoon bedoeld die de rechten verleend door deze licentie uitoefent...
BE-CCPL.fr*: Par "Vous" on entend la personne physique ou morale qui exercise les droits conféré par cette licence...

Hannelore

  • [Cc-be] Q5 You: exercising rights vs using work, Hannelore Dekeyser, 11/21/2004