cc-au - [ccAustralia] Opening Australia's ARchive: Open Access Principles for Australian Collecting Institutions

cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Jessica Coates <j2.coates AT qut.edu.au>
  • To: Jessica Coates <j2.coates AT qut.edu.au>
  • Subject: [ccAustralia] Opening Australia's ARchive: Open Access Principles for Australian Collecting Institutions
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 14:24:33 +1000

Dear all

As some of you may already have seen on our blog, I am please to announce
that Creative Commons Australia's sister research project, Opening
Australia’s Archives, has released a first version of its Open Access
Principles for Australian Collecting Institutions.

For those who haven't come across the Opening Australia's Archives project,
it was initiated in 2009 to explore opportunities to increase the public’s
ability to access and reuse our national collections through coordinated
sector-policy, implementation and advocacy. Its first major activity was to
run a series of meetings around Australia in late 2009 aimed at facilitating
discussion between representatives of the cultural sector on the issue of
open access collections.

One of the main pieces of feedback from these forums was the need for a set
of simple principles or guidelines that set out what open access is and how
it may be instituted by a collecting body. The Principles are a response to
this feedback. They aim to assist institutions exploring digital strategies
by describing basic open access policies and strategies that may be of use to
them. They also provide case studies of successful open access initiatives in
the sector both in Australia and worldwide.

You can find more information the Principles, as well as rich text, pdf and
wiki versions, at http://creativecommons.org.au/research/openarchives and
http://www.ip.qut.edu.au/opening_access_to_australian_archives.

In line with the commitment during the Creative Archive meetings, we intend
these Principles to be a growing and collaborative project that draws on
expertise across the sector. Thus the version released this week is merely
Version 1. This version draws on discussion at the meetings and subsequent
feedback from interested members of the Australian collecting sector.
However, we would like to invite and encourage feedback on this version, to
further align it with the needs and expectations of the sector.

Please feel free to provide feedback on the Principles in any form you like –
as comments, as tracked changes, as a written email, or through the wiki. Any
feedback we receive will be used to update and improve the Principles for
future versions.

Sorry for any cross-postings.

Jessica Coates
Alumni
Creative Commons Australia and ARC Centre of Excellence for Creative
Industries and Innovation
email: jessica.m.coates AT gmail.com.au

  • [ccAustralia] Opening Australia's ARchive: Open Access Principles for Australian Collecting Institutions, Jessica Coates, 12/02/2010