cc-au - Re: [ccAustralia] Debunking the myth

cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Jessica Coates <j2.coates AT qut.edu.au>
  • To: Leigh Blackall <leighblackall AT gmail.com>, "cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ccAustralia] Debunking the myth
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 16:32:11 +1000

Two things spring to my mind, though neither are exactly what you’re after.

MIT has an excellent survey on the impact of their open courseware project on their website. It doesn’t deal with dollars, but it does identify a lot of benefits the university has got from the open licensing – see http://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/global/05_Prog_Eval_Report_Final.pdf

And Paula Bray has written a good paper about how giving away their public domain photos for free has made a lot of money for the Powerhouse Museum. Though it’s a bit date now, and only says that they haven’t lost money - the most recent figures she has shows a definite increase - http://www.archimuse.com/mw2009/abstracts/prg_335001933.html

I’ll keep my thinking cap for anything else that might be of help.

Jessica Coates

Project Manager

Creative Commons Australia