cc-au - [cc-au] DBCDE goes Obama with it's own blog

cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Jessica Coates <j2.coates AT qut.edu.au>
  • To: "cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "cc-community AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-community AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "wikimediaau-l AT lists.wikimedia.org" <wikimediaau-l AT lists.wikimedia.org>, "icommons AT lists.ibiblio.org" <icommons AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "asia-commons AT googlegroups.com" <asia-commons AT googlegroups.com>, "cc-asia-pacific AT googlegroups.com" <cc-asia-pacific AT googlegroups.com>
  • Subject: [cc-au] DBCDE goes Obama with it's own blog
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 10:39:35 +1000

People following Australian digital policy might be interested in this:

The Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy (DBCDE) has launched a new 'Digital Economy Future Directions' blog - http://www.minister.dbcde.gov.au/media/media_releases/2008/069.

It's still being finalised, but based on the description in the media release it's primarily intended as a feedback forum, and will allow comments(http://www.dbcde.gov.au/communications_for_business/industry_development/digital_economy/future_directions_blog):
"We expect to hear a range of views, including some criticisms and negative comments—all we ask is that you submit considered, on-topic comments. . .

Some of the themes that we will explore in upcoming blog posts include:

  • What does the digital economy encompass?
  • How do we maintain the same 'civil society' we enjoy offline in an online world? (this is the post that touches on the issue of filtering and we welcome your feedback about the issue in response to this post)
  • Is there a benefit for the digital economy from open access to public sector information?
  • Does Australia's regulatory framework need tweaking to enable a vibrant digital economy in Australia?
  • How can the digital economy respond to environmental concerns?
  • What should Australia do to ensure that our businesses and citizens have the necessary skills to participate fully in the digital economy?
  • How can we measure the success of Australia's digital economy?

We are intending to post every couple of days. In the time between posts, we hope that a discussion can emerge between participants on each of these topics. We look forward to hearing from you. Remember—this is one of the first times the Australian Government has engaged in this manner so we don't expect this to run perfectly, but we hope that this can be a productive experience."

And they've launched a Youtbue channel too: http://au.youtube.com/user/AusGovDBCDE.

Jessica Coates
Project Manager
Creative Commons Clinic