cc-au - [cc-au] APRA, ACCC, creative commons licenses

cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: "Jamison Young" <jam AT jamyoung.net>
  • To: cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-au] APRA, ACCC, creative commons licenses
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 04:19:06 +1000

Hi CC, au I figured to post this to the mailing list, just so its open the situation...

You can read the attached PDF, and bellow is the email that i sent to APRA May 18th, that Brett Cottle refers to in the attached PDF. Obviously APRA wanted me out of their organization so i could not create a dispute. Not being a member of APRA means that i can't have a dispute. Also not having a works data bass open to public at the time i left, how was i to know that my works were still active?

In relation to the issue of co-writes of your works registered with us, we will inform the relevant co-writers and seek their views of the information you have provided to us. If they are in agreement, we will remove their registrations. If not, we will contact you regarding further action.

I took every precaution to make sure that the CC licenses that I issued were valid. It was a difficult situation for me to discuss the issue with the producers after the CC licenses had gone on the works, as i had already sent this mail bellow. And APRA assured me that things had been taken care of.

I see APRA at fault here and not just the kind of fault that someone makes as a human error, yet the kind that is sure to give the work no value as free and no value as a commercial item. I never asked fox to use my song, fox contacted beatpick and beatpick created the license with fox. I faxed a document to beatpick that allows fox to use my song.

APRA have created problems for my career & beatpick. I wonder if its worth taking legal action against them to remind them that they have an obligation to their members in all circumstances. Are these organizations able to lie and cheat so openly with correspondence like this in place?

I have communicated the issue to http://www.accc.gov.au and the http://www.copyright.org.au The ACCC valid APRA/emi actions. The copyright council want respond. I'm in a bad situation, i want the licences to stay valid. EMI can issue take down notices for copyright content they have an interest on you tube and i like my songs being used in projects like http://uncultured.com/ and i don't want EMI to issue take downs. If i validate their writer share in the work then EMI music have rights over me. My view is that if i remain a member of ASCAP, then EMI might have the possibility to take the content down.

I really wanted to sort this mess out on my own terms, yet it does not seem possible.

regards,
Jamison