cc-au - Re: [cc-au] OT: Interoperability for Patent file format

cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Tom Sparks <tom_a_sparks AT yahoo.com.au>
  • To: cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-au] OT: Interoperability for Patent file format
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:59:16 +1000 (EST)

i am looking at setting up a youtube like website
I have a group of video clips (under CC or like
licensing)
I would like to transcode them into H.264/AVC (MP4
part 10), flash
video, 3gp (mobile phone video) for use on other
devices

bellow is a quote from
EUROPEAN INTEROPERABILITY FRAMEWORK
FOR PAN-EUROPEAN eGOVERNMENT SERVICES
http://europa.eu.int/idabc/3761
"
USE OF OPEN STANDARDS
To attain interoperability in the context of
pan-European eGovernment services, guidance
needs to focus on open standards [17].

The following are the minimal characteristics
that a specification and its attendant documents

must have in order to be considered an open
standard:
- The standard is adopted and will be
maintained by a not-for-profit organisation,
and its ongoing development occurs on the
basis of an open decision-making procedure
available to all interested parties (consensus
or majority decision etc.).

- The standard has been published and the
standard specification document is available
either freely or at a nominal charge. It must
be permissible to all to copy, distribute and
use it for no fee or at a nominal fee.

- The intellectual property - i.e. patents
possibly present - of (parts of) the standard
is made irrevocably available on a royalty-
free basis.

- There are no constraints on the re-use of
the standard.
"

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 10:16 +1000, Jessica Coates
wrote:
> Hi Tom
>
> It depends a bit what you mean by 'use'.
>
> A patent doesn't stop you from 'using' a file format
on a legitimate product, eg playing an MP3 on an iPod.
However, patents will stop you from incorporating the
software to play the format in a product you are
producing without the patent holder's permission.

> Copyright also protects software, so you cannot
reproduce software programs without the copyright
owner's permission. There are exceptions to copyright
law that say as long as it is legitimate (ie not
pirated) software, it isn't a copyright infringement
to make temporary reproductions of it as part of its
ordinary use - but this only applies to reproductions
in the RAM memory of your computer, and not to
permanent reproductions ie copying the program to many
computers.

> There are no special laws in Australia that let
community groups copy or use software for non-profit
purposes without the owner's permission.

> Also, if you need to hack or reverse engineer a
technological lock to play a file, what you are doing
will generally be illegal in Australia eg breaking the
software that stops you from copying DVDs or playing
songs from online services other than iTunes on your
iPod.

> But it's hard to answer your question without
knowing more details. Does anyone else have anything
to add?

> Jessica

[cc-au-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Tom
Sparks [tom_a_sparks AT yahoo.com.au]
> Sent: Sunday, 28 September 2008 1:33 PM
> To: cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: [cc-au] OT: Interoperability for Patent
file format

> Is there a law/Act in Australia that can allow
> community project to use
> patent file formats for interoperability reasons
only?

Get Yahoo!7 Mail! http://au.yahoo.com/y7mail