cc-au - [Cc-au] CC release on CD

cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: "Damian" <damian AT ponyloaf.com.au>
  • To: Cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Cc-au] CC release on CD
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 20:27:21 -0600

Hi Nic,

You are kind of too late, the CD and cover has gone off to the printer, but
luckily the advice you gave corresponds with how we decided to approach it
anyway.

We decided to make only 1 track on the CD some rights reserved, this track
was licenced with an Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs licence. This track
will also be available on our web site for download.

We decided to take this approach because we felt that if all the tracks were
licenced for legal reproduction and noncommercial distribution on our CD then
this would actually encourage people to copy and distribute, which is likely
to damage our CD sales, at least initially when the CD first hits the shelves
and has some publicity. We also reasoned that all tracks could be licenced
with CC later down the track and made available on our web site, after the
initial 'rush' (i use the term loosely) has stopped.

I think this is a good strategy because it allows us to get maximum benefit
from the 'busy period' when the CD is new and there is publicity associated
with it. Having one track available for distribution provides people with a
sample, which is effectively promotion, and also reinforces that the other
tracks on the CD are not distributable. People are hopefully encouraged to
buy the CD through this approach.

I expect that sales would naturally decline after some time on the shelves.
As this happens it is beneficial to re-release the tracks under CC on the
web, as this will allow broader distribution than our CD distributor can
reach and provide promotion again in new markets (ie. internationally).

That's the theory anyway. Of course it's an independant release and we are
not expecting sales to be anywhere near significant, but i just thought that
it was worthwhile to explain the approach for reference.

If you'd like to get yourself a copy of the CD it's called "O-Complex" by
Ponyloaf. It will be released in August and more details including how to
purchase will be at www.ponyloaf.com.au

cheers
Damian