byte-of-python - Re: [Byte-of-Python] Mistake in she-bang line

byte-of-python AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion regarding the book 'A Byte of Python'

  • From: Swaroop C H <swaroop AT byteofpython.info>
  • To: Discussion regarding the book 'A Byte of Python' <byte-of-python AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Byte-of-Python] Mistake in she-bang line
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:52:01 -0800 (PST)

> With python, things are (fortunately) not that bad (yet!).
> Teaching people to use #!/usr/bin/env python instead
> of #!/usr/bin/python from the very beginning would be a
> great thing to do.

I agree this is the right method.

However, this didn't work in one particular instance for me - when I cron-ned
the script on a FreeBSD box. It gave me an error but when I switched back to
the physical location directly, it worked.

Still, '/usr/bin/env' would be the right thing to do. I'll make changes for
the
next edition of the book.

Thanks for taking interest to bring this up :)

=====
Swaroop C H
Blog: http://www.swaroopch.info
Book: http://www.byteofpython.info