baslinux - Re: [BL] Trying to install BL3 on SD card with IDE to SD adapter

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Trying to install BL3 on SD card with IDE to SD adapter
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 03:53:16 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks for the infos sindi. My laptop has 16 MB RAM and only a floppy disk
drive so I'm somehow limited to what I can run with it (I wrote and swapped
dozens of floppies to install Windows 95 and Debian???).

Memorystock sells memory for your laptop, which can take 128MB.
The memory type is 'n/a'. What does it look like?

No, my BL partition was actually 4 GB and the problem seems to be coming from LILO that won't launch at startup.

BL2 (based on Slackware 7 instead of 4) has a slightly newer LILO - have you tried it?

I run BL3 from small partitions - way under 500MB.

No I haven't tried, is that important? My BL on hard drive (SD card) actually boots when I use BL3's first floppy to start LILO.

You can probably boot to DOS on the SSD, then boot BL with loadlin instead of lilo. You need loadlin, kernel (zimage or bzimage) and baslinux.gz in a DOS directory in hda1, and the other files in ext2-formatted hda2 or other partition. Instructions should be at the BL site. Something like
loadlin zimage initrd=baslinux.gz root=/dev/hda2 rw
(but please look this up for yourself - for bl2 I think it is ro not rw).

Or try to boot with lilo installed to the floppy disk but with the BL files on the SSD.

Or boot to BL floppy disk version then chroot to BL on the SSD. 'change root' - look for its files in a different place after booting.

Something like:

mount /dev/hda1 /hd
chroot /hd /bin/bash

Check the BL archives or man chroot.

I used chroot to run BL from an 8MB SD card in my year 2000 Olympus camera, a very small custom version with USB support that included a non-X svgalib image viewer. That let me plug the camera into someone else's computer (with floppy drive) and view my photos on that computer without Windows. You can find the camera BL at my website http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/ (if it still works).

I uncommented the first line of ???/etc/lilo.conf???, which is ???boot=/dev/hda ### this line puts llo in MBR of primary harddrive???, which would remove the problem of partition's sizes if I understand everything correctly. But when doing so, ???LILO??? starts to show up at boot, a few letters, like when using BL's first floppy, but then it crashes and the computer reboots and does the same thing again and again.

Does BL boot from SSD in a different laptop?

Maybe it requires extra drivers. I know it cannot handle SATA.

Does an SSD require USB storage support?

Would you like a small laptop IDE drive? I have extras.

Gilles Devillers ??? GilDev <https://gildev.tk/>