baslinux - [BL] Using Puppy 1.07 kernel and modules in BL2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Using Puppy 1.07 kernel and modules in BL2
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 20:15:35 +0000 (UTC)

Boot Puppy 1.07 from live CD. It likes to make a 256MB pup001 file in a FAT32 partition - I don't know what will happen if there is no FAT32 but if there is less free space it will use all but 8MB.

I was unable to mount it loop to extract the files but may have done something wrong.

Test to see if the modules you want work in it. It is the last Puppy to support OSS sound. My Compaq Presario 1200 (AMD K6, via82cxxx sound) does not play sounds in BL2 but does in Puppy, with modules

soundcore
sound
ac97_codec
uart401
via82cxxx (assigns its own irq etc).

I had read a website claiming this chip did not work right in OSS so I gave up and used the laptop as a radio with a puppy linux that does ALSA sound, then I just got it working with OSS sound.

Perhaps someone applied a later patch while compiling the kernel and modules for Puppy.

I thought about trying to force the 2.4.29 modules to insert with -f, then copied the modules to /lib/modules/2.4.29 of BL2. Puppy 1.07 refuses to mount the CD so I rebooted to BL2 and mounted it and copied vmlinuz from CD to c:\bl2 (/dev/hda1) and renamed it vmpup107. (It could be vmli2429).

I used loadlin to boot BL2 from hard drive with the Puppy 1.07 kernel.

The modules would not insert until I gunzipped all the ones of interest.
Sound is working perfectly, including mplayer and mp3s (offline).

Pcmcia modules would not insert even gunzipped.

/etc/pcmcia/start in BL3 (which also works in BL2 with the modules I compiled for pcmcia):

insmod pcmcia_core
insmod i82365
insmod ds

Only the first inserted.

I had to instead (as is done by puppy linux):

insmod pcmcia_core
insmod i82092 (it refused to insert the i82365)
insmod yenta_socket
insmod ds (would not insert without yenta_socket).

I then typed cardmgr -o and it could not find hermes, orinoco_cs and orinoco in /lib/modules/2.4.29 so I copied them there from
/lib/modules/2.4.29/net/pcmcia/wireless

I could probably edit config to look for the modules where they were to start with instead. Is there some better method?

I am now online with BL2, using the 2.4.29 kernel and modules from Puppy 1.07, playing internet radio. The volume needs turning up. I added to the script sound-on the line aumix -v +200 (double the volume).
Nice quality JBL speakers. Crummy passive matrix screen.

BL2 boots three times as fast as puppy linux.

The compiler of a bunch of modules for cardbus wifi cards for kernel 2.4.29 (Puppy 1.04-1.09) steered me to their location at http://dotpups.de/dotpups/wifi/

but I have not tried them. I am hoping to get BL2 working with WPA2 keys. using wpa_supplicant from the same site, to enter WPA keys, for iw2100 and iw2200, atmelwlandriver, MADWiFi, Prism54, HostAP. (I know the first two do WPA2). There is a way to use the last three of these as access points.
(Pick up a signal and pass it along on a LAN).

The latest opera for linux 12.16 (and also 12.10) requires glibc 2.8 or later, which requires a 2.6 kernel or later. I would love to switch back to BL for browsing. Seamonkey 2 requires gtk2 which requires, I think, newer glibc which requires newer kernel. Etc. There is a QtWeb that works with a 2009 puppy with kernel 2.6.21.7 (with updated glibc). Firefox 17. I don't know if X would also need changing.

BL2 won't support SATA drives, or even run in ram in a computer with SATA. Maybe a newer kernel would help that too? Our newest non-SATA laptop is from 2006.

Anyone else want to experiment with updated BL2 for 'new' (2005) hardware and recent browsers?

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] Using Puppy 1.07 kernel and modules in BL2, sindi keesan, 02/20/2014