baslinux - [BL] playing downloaded youtube files with BL2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] playing downloaded youtube files with BL2
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 05:28:48 +0000 (UTC)

Copy the URL from Opera address line after selecting the video at Youtube, paste at http://savevideo.me

I downloaded an .mp4 file from youtube via this site, and also directly from http://archive.org

mplayer 0.93-glibc225 which I compiled, or David Moberg's 1pre5-uclibc, respectively either crash, or play sound but not video.
(My versions were never tested on anything but audio and DVDs).

I tried -vo x11, vesa, and fbdev. (svga does not work on laptops).

The uclibc version plays sound (after which I need to exit the terminal or rxvt because I can't see anything I type). The version I compiled just crashes with a message that my CPU may be too slow etc.. At least I can listen to music from youtube with BL.

"Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x31637661."

Other people had this problem in 2008 and 2009- something about DirectShowServer video codecs.

The newer mplayer in Puppy Linux 4.1.2 (Pulp linux 0.1) plays the mp4.

Is there any download site that provides mp4s which work with our older mplayer? I could not get a recent mplayer to compile with the tools available in BL.

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] playing downloaded youtube files with BL2, sindi keesan, 10/11/2012