baslinux - Re: [BL] LIL- error fixed on worn-out drive (sindi keesan)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: sheldonhisaac AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] LIL- error fixed on worn-out drive (sindi keesan)
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:14:25 +0000 (UTC)

I think the area of /dev/hda5 used by lilo must have worn out, as happens when
hard drives no longer boot due to MBR area wearing out. Can anyone explain
this more technically?

Thanks, Sindi, for this info and tip.

This multi-boot method requires a FAT32 file system for XP

I wonder about that: I have a refurbished Acer Acpire One (8.9" screen)
netbook and a hand-me-down Dell Dimension 8300 desktop, 2004 vinage.

Each has XP booting from an NTFS partition, the C: drive.
The boot.ini files includes a line for a file on C:\ (it's analogous to
your c:\boot\bootsec5.lnx) which is a copy of the first 512 bytes of
a VFAT partition where /boot/grub is.

I have not figured out how to use grub but ought to since you say it also works with NTFS. I tried the LILO/boot.ini method with NTFS (using puppy linux to write to boot.ini since it can access NTFS) but it did not work.

I may have misunderstood what you said.
I think not. Try it yourself with lilo instead of grub.

By the way, I see that you've posted on the http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy
forum.

Yes, I am now using Puppy Linux when I need a recent browser.

Thanks,

Sheldon

, which means I could also plug in a USB floppy drive and boot to DOS thence
to BL to fix things. It does not seem to work with NTFS.