baslinux - [BL] cpu frequency

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] cpu frequency
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 17:29:30 +0000 (UTC)

How does one set cpu clock speed in BL?

I have a DELL Latitude D600 1.6GHz laptop running at 600MHz ever since some chip in it went bad which communicates with the DELL power supply identical chip (Dallas). Unless both chips work, the speed is throttled by 'speedstep' (which also cuts cpu speed to save battery when full speed is not needed). (Also battery refuses to charge). This is DELL's way of forcing you to buy lots of new DELL psus and laptops. There is a cpu scaling program by Realmark for Windows to set speed to maximum (16 instead of 6 x 100MHz).

Linux has cpufreq utility (script?) which sets
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq
which may require acpi to even exist.

Do I need an acpi kernel or module to set cpu multiplier?

Sindi Keesan