baslinux - [BL] DELL Inspiron 8100 pcmcia and mouse

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] DELL Inspiron 8100 pcmcia and mouse
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 19:07:31 +0000 (UTC)

pcmcia hung when checking ports 0x0800-0x08ff.
Hold down power button 10 sec or longer to turn it off.

Slackware people fixed this by editing /etc/pcmcia/config.opts
to remove 0x800-0x08ff from the include line. That had no effect in BL2
so I removed that part of the include line from /etc/pcmcia/config itself.

The onboard DELL (orinoco) wireless PC-card is now recognized by BL2 pcmcia and I am online with it. This model comes with either wireless card or wired/modem card. (I taped over those ports).

The two regular pcmcia slots are not recognized by BL2 or Puppy Linux (which did work with wireless out of the box) or I think XP.

I have two other laptops with dead pcmcia (which died in use on one of them along with memory slots).

Nice laptop otherwise. XP and Puppy will do 1440 res. BL2 does 1280 with Xvesa or fb video, with black vertical stripe at each side. Good sound and lovely screen. Floppy drive, 1.0GHz.

Both types of PS/2 onboard mouse, which confuses Puppy Linux, so I disabled onboard mouse and it now works with USB mouse in XP and Puppy.

To use onboard PS/2 with BL2 I now need to go back into BIOS setup.
I can probably use a serial mouse in BL2 but would like a scroll wheel.
How do I set up BL2 with USB mouse?