baslinux - Re: [BL] BasLinux Digest, Vol 99, Issue 3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasLinux Digest, Vol 99, Issue 3
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 14:49:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011, Forrest Charnock wrote:

Has anyone hear ever used BasicLinux to run the program ZoneMinder ,
or something similar ?
ZoneMinder is designed to control security cameras and send out email
alerts, start recording etc. when motion is detected by frame
comparison etc.

There is sadly a large theft problem at the local farms and being able
to use antiquated equipment to control a security system would be a
great way to reuse the equipment and make the systems much less
expensive for farmers already suffering the economic disaster.

than "Re: Contents of BasLinux digest..."

If you subscribe to the list you should be able to reply without quoting all previous postings from the month. Also please change subject line.

ZoneMinder appears to require MySQL, and Java or Firefox (or maybe some other browser such as Opera 9 would work for streaming video).

I don't think anyone has used MySQL or Java with BL. Firefox 2.0 can be made to work but not later versions (we don't have gtk2).

BL has by-now VERY old kernel, X, libraries, etc. and therefore precompiled binaries are unlikely to work. Can you compile?

Try another small linux such as Puppy Linux, TinyCore Linux, Slitaz, all of which use a 2.6 rather than a 2.2 kernel, Xorg instead of X11R6, glibc 2.6 instead of 2.1, etc., and have updated packages.

Standard Puppy is usable at 200MHz if you have 128MB RAM (not enough for a recent GUI browser), and there are versions of it which will use even less (or run in CLI). TinyCore boots to a GUI with 10MB RAM.

BL was trailing edge 10 years ago but I still use it on all my computers except when I need a recent GUI browser.

How antiquated is your equipment? Old desktops are free around here, and 10 year old laptops are pretty cheap. The documentation said 200Mhz would work, which is circa 1998. Ask people on the ZoneMinder forums what hardware and software work for them.