baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 Internet Radio was mplayer, was Re: Flash and Youtube

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 Internet Radio was mplayer, was Re: Flash and Youtube
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 19:27:06 +0000 (UTC)

Compaq Presario 1200 XL106 (32MB onboard RAM, 64MB added - can take 128 chip), 475MHz AMD-K6-2 cpu, combination video/sound chip with Trident video and via82cxxx_audio sound)

I deleted the Compaq Win98 restore partition and a lot of other Win98 stuff (AOL, etc.) and made two 1GB free ext2 partitions to which I installed BL2 and Pulp01.

BL2.
Framebuffer video works. Goes online with pcmcia network card. Nice keyboard. 800x600x16 screen is stripey in console mode plain text, okay framebuffer.

OSS sound driver cannot find dsp device. I tried various players.
This is a cheapened Presario with poor LCD/video/sound but it still has the very nice keyboard and speakers found in the 1675 (where sound works, and video is 1024). Sounds worked well in Win98 but the mplayer downloaded for Win98 does not work on this AMD-K6-2 cpu.

Other linux users said sbpro emulation works (8-bit) and you also had to warm boot from Windows to get any sound at all and to use kernel 2.4 or later with the alsa driver.

Pulp linux alsa sound was configured automatically. mp3blaster and mplayer and aplay worked once I figured out sound was muted AND the volumes were all turned to zero (change both).

BL2 is therefore NOT as well suited to some medium-old (1999) laptops as a newer linux with alsa drivers. This is the first of many laptops where I got sound to work in Puppy but not BL2. (Two laptop soundcards work with OSS not ALSA so far - tp560X and a winbook).

Pulp mplayer is compiled with runtime cpudetection and apparently also i586 sound. It worked also on a P-II TP770E. It has a huge list of gtk-2 type dependencies (pango cairo...).

We are having a few days of snow and unseasonable cold so expect more reports on uses for the laptop collection.

The Presario 1675 has a DVD player and working oss sound.

Sindi Keesan