baslinux - Re: [BL] Pulp?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Pulp?
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 21:10:15 +0000 (UTC)

Where is the latest version of Pulp Linux? Thanks.

Maybe
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1173458399&t=40226

That takes you to the start of the topic, where there are links to outdated versions.

Found it on page 9 of that topic.

http://flusslinie.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/pulp_0-1-iso.doc

'remember to change doc to iso', says the author

Change the file name to pulp_0-1.iso and either burn it to CD and install with grub, or mount -o loop the iso and extract vmlinuz, initrd.gz and a large .sfs file.

You can then boot it with loadlin if you first copy the two smaller files to a FAT32 partition and the larger one to any ext2 partition.

Let's say these are hda1 (vfat) and hda2 (ext2)

Download and rename the file to .iso.

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /hd
mount /dev/hda2 /mnt
mkdir /hd/pulp01
mkdir /mnt/pulp1 (the names should be different!)

mount -o loop pulp*.iso /mnt
cp /mnt/vmlinuz /hd/pulp1
cp /mnt/initrd.gz /hd/pulp1
cp /mnt/*.sfs /mnt/pulp01
(Or these files might be located in a subdirectory of /mnt/)

Also copy loadlin.exe to /hd/pulp1 (from BL2 or baslin directory).

Reboot to DOS
cd /pulp1
loadlin vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz ro nosmp (make into a batch file)
Optionally you can also add to the end of this:
pmedia=atahd pdev=hda2 psubdir=pulp01
and it will find the files faster.

It will also load with lilo if you have a working lilo.conf already and
add to it at the end (and mount -t vfat /dev/hda1):
boot=/hd/vmlinuz
label=pulp1
initrd=initrd.gz
append="pmedia=atahd pdev=hda2 psubdir=pulp01" (this line is optional)
read-only
(After setting up framebuffer console also add vga=788 or vga=791).
lilo -v to write this to fd or hd some place.

You need one more package to use framebuffer console. Read about it at the pulp forum. I can provide the package.

Pulp can use any programs that work in BL2 (glibc2) if you also copy over any dependencies and configuration files. I added lynx and nano.

If you have any more questions ask them at the puppy forum pulp item.
People are quite helpful there.

I still hope to eventually update BL2 to recent glibc, gcc, kernel, X, etc., so it will work with gtk2 browsers and compile recent programs.
Steven is not interested in supporting newer software or hardware.