baslinux - [BL] flash video on a 486, was Re: BasLinux Digest, Vol 96, Issue 7

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] flash video on a 486, was Re: BasLinux Digest, Vol 96, Issue 7
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 19:18:10 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Is it possible to play flash video with limited resources such as a
486 with 75mhz processor and 40 megs ram?

I doubt it.

Youtube streaming is barely usable at 500MHz. I presume you mean offline videos. I can play DVDs at 500MHz with mplayer and -hardframedrop, and someone claimed to watch DVDs at 366MHz. 266MHz is hopeless. Look for information about mplayer system requirements online.

If you have a computer that can play flash video, see how much extra memory it is using (offline?) to play the video. In linux in an rxvt or another terminal, and type 'free' for total memory use (with and without flash player) or 'top' to see which programs are using what % of cpu time and memory.