baslinux - [BL] Dial Up

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Dial Up
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 21:18:54 -0600

Hi Steven:

Thanks for the reply.
I have set up dialup in Linux before and I am using a serial modem, a
USRobotics external 33.6 that I flashed to 56k, it works fine in
Ubuntu 9.04 and several versions of Puppy Linux.

I did edit the modem file and I added the DNS server numbers but there
were other files such as /etc/host.deny the instructions it said to
edit. My problem is that I am not real good with the command line. In
Ubuntu {as I am0 sure you know} you open a terminal and type sudo
gedit /etc/host.deny , in Puppy you type geany /etc/host.deny or you
use the Rox Filer in Puppy and and open geany with the graphical
browser. I read that there are 2 editor in BasicLinux, one is Pico and
the other I do not remember but I could not bring them up.

Also i don't know how to physically dial once I get those files edited
or if I need to install to the hard drive to save the configuration?
Sorry to be so dense .

Thanks again!

--
Forrest Charnock