baslinux - Re: [BL] free phone calls with BL2

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] free phone calls with BL2
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 15:25:59 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Back to subject. Google Voice did not work with a softphone. It would ring once then the softphone hung up without letting me answer it.
(Softphone works fine for incoming calls, just not from GV).

Used PAP2-NA phones can be had for $23 online at ebay, and $15 plus $10 shipping elsewhere ($5 shipping for a second gadget mailed at same time).
About the cost of a year's light use of a paid VOIP provider.

I got two SPA-2102s for $36 with shipping, unlocked, old firmware.

Sindi Keesan

Google Voice worked with a softphone (Zoiper) with Win2K at another location (where there is a Uverse Wireless Gateway rather than a DSL modem). It did not work at this location, with Zoiper and XP.

The Linksys SPA-2101 ATA that works with the DSL modem does not work with the Uverse Gateway, don't yet know why. The ATA worked to make but not receive 6-digit voxalot calls, and 800 numbers, but not through the VSP to other numbers, and it would not receive GV callbacks. We did turn on the ringer but it just got a dialtone.

So it is not impossible that someone might be able to make free phone calls with BL2 using SJphone and Google Voice with Opera 9. Two people are trying to help with this by email.

Neither Opera 9 nor Seamonkey 2 were capable of setting up the Linksys ATAs. I thought they were locked because I could not access Provisioning link (and wasted hours looking into unlocking them). Firefox and IE in XP worked. At various websites I don't see things that I should. I cannot leave ebay feedback with Opera 9 (I see stray bits of javascript) or Seamonkey (can't even find MyEbay). But Opera 9 does work with Google Voice to initiate calls. Seamonkey 2 even on a Mac does not work correctly (cannot access Contacts). So I don't know how much of the problem is due to linux and how much to outdated versions. It would be nice to get BL2 working with Firefox 3/GTK2. I get tired of rebooting to another OS to get things done.