baslinux - Re: [BL] Toshiba S353 lilo problem

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Toshiba S353 lilo problem
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 03:14:06 +0000 (UTC)

3000-S353 or 3000-353.

Toshiba S353, 700MHz (sold as 900MHz), originally had Win2K, with built-in AMR winmodem (prevents the use of any other modem including external), RLT8139 network card, and Orinoco onboard PCMCIA (!) wireless card.

Lucent AMR modem, windows only.

Despite messages about USB storage at boot time, works perfectly.
I compiled USB-storage modules into the kernel along with RTL8139.

Wireless also works perfectly even with my Apple Base Station (unlike in Windows, which says there is no such card, and Puppy Linux, which cannot deal with this setup even with nameserver set manually - complains about network mask).

Nvidia video works with framebuffer video including fbjpeg (which does not work with neomagic or chips laptops up to 266MHz). Xvesa also works.

Has a Smartmedia card reader which I have not yet tested with the card from my 1999 Olympus Camedia.

Sound is probably Crystal CS4299-A using cs4281.o (which is found at the BL3.5 site, but the 2.2.26 kernels don't work on this laptop - read-only file system or won't mount partitions).

People have had assorted other problems in linux with this series of laptops (3000-100, 3000-514...).

Would precompiled Slackware 8.1 modules work with my kernels, which I
compiled with gcc 2.95.3?