baslinux - Re: [BL] Need help with BL as x-terminal via dialup Re: free shell account with mutt and text browsers

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Need help with BL as x-terminal via dialup Re: free shell account with mutt and text browsers
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 15:33:30 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 8 May 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Steven, can you get your elegantly simple method
to work at cjb?

I meant not xhost but the 'startxt' method where
you start X server -ac and the wm is started
at the remote computer. cjb wm's don't seem happy
with some things though (including my libX11).

I can get it to work at sdf:
(1) on local xterm do: xhost +sdf.lonestar.org
First I started x (complete with wm and rxvt).
Does the xhost method let you run X programs on another computer
but first you start the window manager on your computer?

dial (4.229.21.58:0 goes by), dbclient to sdf
(2) at sdf do: export DISPLAY=???.???.???.???:0

(3) at sdf do: xterm
xterm & (so I can type something after that)

(4) on sdf xterm do: ls -a /usr/pkg/X11R6/bin/
When I type ls at sdf I get a list on the terminal where I
am connected to sdf (with dbclient), not on my rxvt here.
No additional xterm appears on my X. Every time I switch
terminals I see another [11^ added to my rxvt.

When I type cd /usr/pkg/ on my rxvt there is no such directory.
It is definetly not an sdf xterm.

How do I "on sdf xterm do"?

What step did I miss or do wrong?

Note: ??? in step (2) are the local inet address
(do ifconfig locally and look under ppp0).

sdf has few X applications, but you can do xcalc,
xeyes, etc. Unfortunately the links at sdf was
compiled without graphics.

You can compile or otherwise add programs at sdf.