baslinux - [BL] tethered blackberry

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] tethered blackberry
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:36:43 +0000 (UTC)

A friend who depends on her blackberry phone with expensive contract for internet access (phone used as a modem) brought us her failing Thinkpad to try to fix. I may be replacing it with a linux computer (she insists on a laptop).

Has anyone got BL working with a tethered blackberry?

There is something called Barry which supports 'tethering', and also syncs data between computer and blackberry. Lets you charge via USB port. 5MB tar.gz or even larger packages for Ubuntu, Fedora, etc. (GUI).

XmBlackberry, which someone only got working combined with Barry.
Requires perl ('pearl') with CVS version with openmotif 2.3.and libXlt and libusb.

BBtether/berry4all (76K) requires python, libusb, python usb (pyusb). Will these work with 2.4 kernel and glibc 2.2.5? GUI is optional. There is a SW81 python package but not libusb or pyusb.

Synchronization is irrelevant since she has not used the feature with her $57 Windows software.

She wants a laptop. I can offer her one with 64MB RAM and USB.

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] tethered blackberry, baslinux, 02/15/2010