baslinux - Re: [BL] USB storage kernel and modules (baslinux@lists.ibiblio.org)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB storage kernel and modules (baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org)
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 04:54:06 GMT

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/bzimusb.431
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/bzimusbp.431
See also confusb.431 and confusbp.431

The 'usb' kernel is the same as my 'vns' kernel, and has
support for framebuffer (you can boot with vesafb by specifying
vga=791 etc.) and the three most common PCI IDE controllers
(not Promise, which is an add-in card - see vps kernel). But
it also has built-in usbcore and uhci ohci and ehci.
The vns and vps kernels would not boot on a desktop with
USB cardreader plugged into the board. The usb kernel does boot
(no more kernel panics) and finds a USB flash drive plugged
into rear USB port as sda1, but won't recognize the same drive
plugged into the front USB card reader (as sda1 sdb1....sdd1...)
Puppy linux finds it as sda1. ????

The usbp kernel is the same thing but with built-in usbserial
visor and ipaq. The 2.4.31 kernel is buggy and you cannot use
USB PDAs with the modules (unlike 2.2).

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/modules-smf-usb-431.tgz

USB modules include a new usb-storage.o which includes all
the possible USB storage devices (one of which is needed for
my old Toshiba 266MHz laptop and is lacking in prior kernels).
See the readme file in the package. Modules include
USB keyboard and mouse, printer, some scanners and cameras,
and even a USB modem and audio. (I have not yet tried the USB
headset, which probably also needs specific sound drivers).

Any modules in a package labelled smf will work with any of
my 2.4.31 kernels, having been compiled with gcc 2.95.3.
David Moberg's kernel and modules cannot be mixed with mine
or you will crash spectacularly.

The website is working again but I need to chmod +x the additions
before they will download. I keep forgetting.

If anyone with broadband wants a 2.4.33 kernel, just download
the kernel source and use my configuration files (copy to .config)
to make dep, make bzImage, make modules. Make sure all the
modules you want are selected first.