baslinux - [BL] Toshiba PCMCIA/cardbus problem, was Re: Compaq Armada 4120

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Toshiba PCMCIA/cardbus problem, was Re: Compaq Armada 4120
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 16:31:11 +0000 (UTC)

Steven, do all your Toshibas work with (non-cardbus) pcmcia?

I attempted to transfer files to the Armada via network cable (using Win98 on the Armada since BL3 on there loads the pcmcia modules but the card does not work after that - 98 loads modules automatically and it all works) from a Toshiba 335CDS, 1997, 266MHz.

BL2 with my 2.4.31 kernel and pcmcia modules gave the message:
Toshiba ToPIC97 rev 20 PCI-toCardbus .... [no pci irq]
Did not detect the card. Nor did BL3 loop or fd (original kernel and modules from Steven's site) .

According to the 115-page pcmcia forum on Toshiba laptops, they made their own cardbus hardware which is 'somewhat quirky'. ToPIC100 also a problem.

We fixed the pcmcia problem by changing BIOS PCIC from automatic to PCIC (not 16-bit cardbus). I think Steven has something similar. Does it work with BIOS set to 'auto'?

Before the fix, DSL linux started to load then went black. Booted after the fix.

Puppy does not work after the fix (on this or several other laptops).
Puppy 4.30 live CD starts to load then "ldm_validate_partition_table (): Disk read failed. Puppy 4.20 from hd with loadlin still does not load its kernel.

No pcmcia problems on the Gateway 2000 200Mhz with early cardbus (but cardbus there seems to be broken) or Toshiba 100Mhz without cardbus, or a Toshiba 250Mhz with cardbus (which also works in Puppy with cardbus cards). Or Compaq, Thinkpad....

Toshiba has other problems not helped by the fix:
does not always warm reboot, or has HDC error until you power off and on
syschk (DOS diagnostic program) is very slow
busybox 1.01 is very slow during BL3 boot
Xvesa crashes and svgalib does not work (Xfbdev does)
USB storage works with David Moberg's kernel and modules but not mine
BL works fine otherwise.

It holds all sizes of hard drive, which are easy to remove.