baslinux - Re: [BL] kids' internet computer help

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] kids' internet computer help
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 04:58:51 +0000 (UTC)

Kids' games use Flash plugin, which is designed for GTK-based browsers
such as Firefox 2.0 and Seamonkey 1.1 or later. Does it work with Firefox
1.5 too? (Adblock Plus older version worked, but I did not find an older
linux flash plugin).

The BL archives and Opera site indicate that Flash plugin needs glibc 2.3,
lesstif, and Opera 9.5 or later to make the plugin work properly (though
Steven apparently used it with an older version, by manual installation).
Has anyone used it with 9.5 or later in BL? If so, how exactly?

The computer will be 400MHz with at least 64MB RAM and use broadband.

Flash Player 10 requirements:
glibc 2.4
libcurl
For 10 and also 9:

450MHz pentium or 600MHz AMD for Windows, with 128MB RAM

800MHz for linux with 512MB RAM.
The RAM requirement is probably for Ubuntu+Flash.

Steven, what version of Flash did you get working and is it usable at kids' game sites? They claim previous versions are insecure.

Rather than using Adobe to read PDF files I use xpdf or SVP,
designed for linux, smaller and faster.

There is a Gnash SWF player for linux too.

Hardware requirements: 336MHz, 128MB RAM. (I have that).
Software requirements: linux, Windows, Solaris, BeOS.....

Latest release gnash-0.8.5.tar.bz2 Mar 3 2009 is 3.2MB (source).
The Mozilla deb plugin is 67K at the project site.
Linuxpackages discussion says it is buggier than Adobe Flash.
Youtube requires flash unless you work around it by downloading via some other sites. (It also requires broadband).

Wikipedia says it only plays format 7, but may be outdated.
Uses AGG, cairo or OpenGL for rendering.

There is also swfdec library for playing swf. Standalone or as a Mozilla plugin. It uses X11 and gtk (which version?).

http://swfdec.freedesktop.org says they are on version 0.8.4 which supports Youtube. It crashes a lot. Version 0.10 was due out in March 2009. 0.8.4 source is 10MB tar.gz.

It is much more resource intensive than mplayer (which can play FLV but maybe not SWF formats). May need Cairo.

I think it is time for me to give up on Flash for BL. Maybe someone else can compile one of these.

An alternate approach is to use a live Browserpuppy CD on the parents' computer, which includes Firefox 3.5 and Flash 10 (for Youtube) already.
Or an unprivileged account for the kids and Webwheels kids' browser.
So they cannot access the hard drive accidentally and destroy XP.

It might work at 400MHz in which case install to hda2.

For more Asus Eee PC Linux Distributions see leeenux.com -
CrunchEee (Crunchbang)
Eeebuntu and Easy Peasy (ubuntu 8), eeeXubuntu (7),
Eeedora (Fedora 8for USB stick)
fluxflux (PCLinuxOS live)