baslinux - Re: [BL] newbie help with Linksys wireless WPC11v3 PCMCIA

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] newbie help with Linksys wireless WPC11v3 PCMCIA
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 07:42:23 +1200

Message from Steven
===================

> having trouble getting my Linksys WPC11v3 PCMCIA card working.
>
> From what I've seen, it seems the current best module
> to load for this is "wvlan_cs.o", but I'm embarassed
> to say I've been unable to figure out where to obtain
> this module.

>From the BL3 homepage:
------------------------------------
Additional components for BasicLinux
------------------------------------
BasicLinux has a slim IDE kernel and a small
set of common modules. Additional modules
and alternative kernels are here.

If you click on "here", you will eventually
find this:
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru/add-ons/2_2_26/modules/pcmcia/wvlan_cs.o

> Basically, I understand (unless I'm wrong), that
> I need to place this module inside
> /lib/modules/[kernel version #]/pcmcia,

/lib/modules/2.2.26/pcmcia

> then run "insmod wvlan_cs.o" to install the module,

No, you don't use insmod for pcmcia modules.
You run: /etc/pcmcia/start

> then edit /etc/pcmcia/config, commenting out the
> original pcnet module lines and instead adding
> lines to have the system use the wvlan_cs.o module
> to communicate with the wireless card.

Before /etc/pcmcia/start will work correctly, your
/etc/pcmcia/config must be correct. However, it
is helpful to run /etc/pcmcia/start before editing
the config -- because that will tell you whether
your system sees the pcmcia card. You will probably
get a high beep followed by a low beep. When the
config is correct, you will get two high beeps.

> Also, it seems I need to install wireless-tools,

Not necessarily. It may be possible to configure
the card using commands in /etc/pcmcia/config
However, there is a version of wireless-tools here:
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru/add-ons/wireless.tgz