baslinux - Re: [BL] Experiences with BasicLinux - the down side

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Experiences with BasicLinux - the down side
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 15:14:57 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

All i can say is, that when issueing 'Xi810 -help' then i get some help text, which however isn't really helpfull, but it shows at least that the server program itself seems to run.

Actually, this turned out to be only half of the story. Invoking Xi810 without any argument, or with any argument OTHER than '-help', just returns immediately with the message "Segmentation fault". Perhaps there is something wrong with the server?

Maybe. I never used it. The glibc 2.1 savage server did not work for me.

(WW) OsInitColors: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt:756: Syntax error:

Fatal server error:
No matching cards found!

I am the no-xvesa rgb.txt with the savage server (libc5) in BL2. Maybe we need a later rgb.txt or a later libX11 for these precompiled servers. I got the latest version. Look at Xorg for an older version.

The precompiled Xfbdev and Xvesa work. Steven's uclibc-Xvesa uses less memory. i810 does not work well with svgalib either, or in DOS (plain VGA only), which is why I always just put in another card.

Another list member got i810 working with the i810 server a few years ago. Search the archives.