baslinux - Re: [BL] linux for 128 MB laptops

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] linux for 128 MB laptops
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 15:54:41 -0500

I personally prefer doing a debian netinstall and grabbing the lightwieght packages, but in terms of distros, antiX M8-base, DSL, Vector Linux Light, some SLAX distros (Austrumi and Wolvix cub come to mind) and sidux work great on 128MB.

baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
Hi Sindi,

I know this is the BL mailing list, and of course
Steven is the one who can answer that ...
i'm just chiming in to let you know that there are two
excellent linux distros which work for these "newer"
'old laptops': puppy and slitaz.

puppy is fairly well-known and does a great job of
just working "out of the box". the major thing about it
that i don't like is that it makes you the root user,
and unlike BL, it's not easy to just set up a "normal user"
account and work from it. there is an enormous variety
of different ways to install or otherwise use puppy, a
regular hard-drive install being only one of the. but it
is really designed to be run off the live-cd, and so
being root user is not seen as a problem by the developers
or most users.

slitaz is currently my very favorite linux distro. i've
installed it on several laptops which have 128 MB RAM,
and it works ok on them although it likes 192 MB better.
but there is also a "slitaz-loram" iso available which
works on 64 MB. slitaz is a normal linux with regular
non-root user accounts, and firefox is the default web
browser. i would say at this point the stable 1.0 version
is not worth using anymore, go with the "cooking" version,
which currently has over 1300 packages available in the
repositories. and the current "cooking" kernel is 2.6.25.

http://slitaz.org/

I say all this because to me, BL fills the <128 MB niche
perfectly and i'd like to see it keep that place.
The weakest machine i have BL3 installed on is a 1995
Thinkpad with only 4 MB of RAM. I had to use the DOS
version of BL for that one, but it works and i still
have X.

-monz

--- On Thu, 2/26/09, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>