baslinux - Re: [BL] direct parallel connexion

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: List BasLin <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] direct parallel connexion
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 15:00:19 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Can you interface a computer running BasLin/Linux to a Windows box over a direct parallel ports connexion ?

http://linuxgazette.com/issue57/sipos.html
Making a Simple Linux Network Including Windows 9X LG #57
Redhat 6.0 era.

Detailed discussion of linux-Windows(DOS) plip with a link to a DOS/Windows plip driver.

See also /root/netsetup in BL3 and the BL archives.

Use Steven's send/receive scripts based on netcat (nc) to send files.
Did you want to do more than that?

In my experience, linux plip often will not work on laptop parallel ports and sometimes on other parallel ports (such as the ones in MGA cards). DOS llpro does work with them. If you have a DOS partition on the linux computer you can transfer files via that and llpro or interlnk/intersvr.

Does your 486 have a PCI slot for a USB add-in card?

My 486 comp no longer has an ethernet card. When running Windows, it is fully networked to another Win computer, both sides using what MS calls "direct cable connexion" (DCC) over parallel (printer) wires. I wonder if I can interface Baslin to Windows DCC. Linux has something called PLIP if I remember clearly, can you install PLIP in BasLin & can you then interoperate it with the Windows DCC ?

I'd like to hear from your experience...

--
Czerno