baslinux - Re: [BL] considering BL for laptop: questions

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] considering BL for laptop: questions
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:27:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008, Sindi wrote:

> My script for printing, called printdj, is
> gs -r300 -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=/dev/lp0 $1
> (The -r300 may be default too, try without it).

Now that I've finally downloaded this package and decompressed it, I've
been able to experiment. First, I made the gunzipped package executable.
Then I downloaded some pdf's to test it on. At first it was not working
but then I did some searching in the archive and quickly realized it
wasn't working because I needed to load some modules. Specifically, I
needed to insmod parport, parport_pc, and lp. After I did this, printing
began to work.

So far my printing tests have been pretty successful. I got some errors on
the first IRS document I tried, but all others, including a sample ps file
I created using Abiword, printed just fine. This has all been done as
root, btw. Thank you for making this package available, Sindi.

The only real problem here, and it's more of an annoyance than a problem,
is that printing this way is a two-step process. Instead of printing
directly a pdf from, say Opera, or a file from Abiword, you have to first
save the file in the right format (ps or pdf), then open a terminal and
issue the gs printing command. It would be nice if gs could be made to
appear as an available printer, or even be set as the default printer, so
as to obviate the extra steps. Any ideas on how to do this?

So far there appear to be no insurmountable issues that would keep me from

James