baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 online via library wireless network

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 online via library wireless network
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 04:40:57 +0000 (UTC)

Ron's reply arrived here before my question. Thanks Ron.

I could have typed
kill `pidof dhcp` - would that work for three processes?

Busybox 1.01 has version 0.9.9-pre of udhcpc, busybox 1.3.2 version 1.3.2, and Slackware 7.1 has 0.9.8 of udhcpcd (but when I type dhcp it works the same as udhcpc).

I found a dhcp mini-HOWTO:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/DHCP/x17.html

and will investigate why dhcp continues running by default after suggesting an IP number.

They list some complicated looking procedures for Redhat and even Slackware.

None of this makes much sense. Maybe these are different programs.

Another website says udhcpc won't work unless ifconfig eth0 up. I specified an IP number instead. dhcp would not work otherwise.

I have a /usr/share/udhcpc with a README (help file) and a default.script in it. Maybe busybox udhcpc made them when it first ran? Feb 1, 2003.

The script echoes "deleting routers" and then adds a default gw using /sbin/ifconfig (for which I needed to make a symlink). It then echoes adding dns number and apparently puts that DNS number in $RESOLV_CONF. (Do we have a $RESOLV_CONF? I ignored the new dns numbers offered me at the library and did not look to see if they were added to resolv.conf, since my own old ones worked).

BL3 does not have /sbin/ifconfig either - maybe in future versions it could be symlinked.

You can request a specific IP address -r .

In BL2 dhcp did not assign me an IP address, I had to type it in myself with ifconfig eth0. Does it assign one in BL3? I could simply write the library's main IP number on my laptop and assign myself an IP number but it might be taken already or the library might object. I will experiment another time. They threw me out politely at 9:05 pm.

udhcpc uses /dev/urandom (not found in BL3.50) to seed its random number generator to generate xid's. You can ifconfig eth0 > /dev/urandom. If there is no urandom, udhcpc seeds with time(0) instead.

Is there any reason to leave udhcpc running after you receive the IP number? I see something about renewing a lease. Most of the terminology is beyond me.