baslinux - Re: [BL] BL distros, poll

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL distros, poll
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 08:06:23 +1300

Message from Steven
===================
srporter wrote:

> The target notebook is a 233MHz w/ 64MB ram & 4GB HD,
> pcmcia x 2, usb 1.0 x 1, swapable CD/FD.

That's a relatively powerful machine. My best laptop
is only half that fast and has half as much RAM.

> My question is, am I on the correct path with BL 2.1 or
> should I be using BL 3.5 as a base?

BL2 is best for Pentium desktops with 32mb RAM and 500mb
of HD space (or more). Your machine is powerful enough.
However, if immediate PCMCIA compatibility is important
to you, you will find BL3 easier.

> BL 2.1 uses slackware 7.1 packages, BL 3.5 uses
> slackware 4.0 packages.

Yes, BL2 can use more up-to-date packages. Even more,
if you upgrade the BL2 libraries (which is relatively
simple). Upgrading BL3 libraries is not as effective.

> I am not intimately familiar with the differences
> in the kernel

Kernel is not an issue. You can use the BL3 kernel
with BL2 (in fact I recommend it).

> and glibc versions used

The glibc in BL2 is a much better platform for
up-to-date software. BL3 is an inferior platform
for up-to-date software, but it runs significantly
faster on old hardware because of the old libc5
foundation.

> I would like to inquire about the systems on which
> BL is being used, specifically, what is your most
> MINIMAL system that you are using to run BL, and
> what is your application (and which version of BL)?

I regularly run BL3 on a 486 laptop with 16mb RAM.
I occasionally use PCMIA to network or go online,
but my primary application is MagicPoint. I often
do presentations via BL3 MagicPoint for my local
city council and other groups. It is very effective.