baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 with opera and lynx as 'user' summary; was Re: which BL? advice needed

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 with opera and lynx as 'user' summary; was Re: which BL? advice needed
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 04:16:59 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

User cannot access /usr/sbin or /sbin.

To let user dial, I had to copy ppp-on and ppp-off to /usr/bin.
To avoid an error message, I then deleted the third line of ppp-off (which
uses /sbin/ifconfig, not on user's path, to generate a message stating
that ppp was not on).

'user' accesses the modified ppp-off, root the one in /usr/sbin (which
gives the ifconfig-related message). I could have simply edited the one
in /usr/sbin and symlinked to files in /usr/bin.

I discovered that the jwm menu accesses eznet directly (it is already suid) so this was all unnecessary for anyone using the menu. I had to change eznet up to eznet up 0 in the menu since I have it set up for several possible modems. I renamed ppp-on and ppp-off to DIAL and HANGUP and put them in the main menu ahead of the browsers.

I added a menu item WORDPROCESSOR (for wp script).
People who have not used linux won't know how to access console programs without a menu. The one I am making a computer for wants to print letters once in a while. I don't know how to get Abiword to print without customizing the printer each time.

I am online as 'user' from BL3.50, using dbclient. (I don't know if it
needed /dev/urandom but I made it anyway. ssh needs it).

I had not added urandom and dbclient does not need it. It is a lot smaller than ssh (not counting any supporting files (libcrypt, libz).

I added a paragraph to the end of /etc/issue instructing the user to
type login and password, then startx, then DIAL before using a browser (in Windows the browser often brings up the dialing screen), exit the browser, HANGUP, EXIT the graphical screen, then CTRL-ALT-DEL (or exit and reboot).

I did all this for a generic user, then made a .tgz (30MB which includes also mplayer, netpbm, kermit, sox, msmtp, dbclient, gs...., expands to double that, with upx-ed opera). I can simply copy this to other computers (via parallel transfer cable) and add different users.

Windows 98 with a few things added is taking up about 350MB, the CAB files another 150MB or so, and linux does a lot more, much faster.