baslinux - Re: [BL] Does BL 3.5 write to ext3?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Does BL 3.5 write to ext3?
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 19:51:25 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sheldon wrote:

Folks, I tried searching the archives, but was unable
to find out whether BL 3.5 can write to ext3 partitions.

No, the default kernel does not do ext3. It is
a small footprint kernel, optimized for old PCs.

You are welcome to use a bigger, newer, more capable
kernel with BL3. I think Sindi has some experience
with this.

To compile a kernel just like the BL3 one that also does EXT3 I think you could copy over the .config file that Steven has posted and change
CONFIG_EXT3_FS is not set
CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y

Or try a standard bare.i kernel from Slackware.

Apparently the 'big' BL3 kernel does not do ext3 either.

I am set up to compile for kernel 2.4.31. I deleted source code for 2.2.16. If you get the 2.2.26 kernel source code I could try to walk you through it (like David Moberg did for me for a couple of years). Or maybe Steven would be willing to make that one change to his 'big' kernel or regular kernel (standard P1, P2?). The source code goes into
/usr/src/linux-2.2.26 with a symlink to linux and there is also a symlink pointing /lib/modules/2.2.26/build to /usr/src/linux-2.2.26

You will need a few other packages to compile with. See instructions at the BL3 website.

Somewhere I read that ext3 is better than ext2,

It depends on what you are using your computer for.
For old, single-user PCs, ext2 works just fine.