baslinux - Re: [BL] wifi networking

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] wifi networking
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 09:25:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007, Christof wrote:

Before I continue, however I would like to understand what the
following lines in the configuration database /etc/pcmcia/config
mean:

-----------
device "pcnet_cs"
class "network" module "misc/8390", "pcnet_cs"
card "Network Card"
function network_adapter
bind "pcnet_cs"
------------

It looks to me like the most common PCMCIA NIC card driver with its helper module is getting loaded with these lines. It's probably there for those with one of the many cards that use those common modules so that their PCMCIA NIC's will work in the most plug-n-playish manner possible.

Besides the Avaya card in the PCMCIA slot, my laptop has another
built-in nework, that I have never tried, yet. Will this card
perhaps get installed automatically and interfere to my wifi-
experiments?

This is not a PCMCIA card if it's built-in. What does dmesg say about it? Does it auto-detect it and say what the chipset is? Did you ever load any modules for it? If at some point you do get it working by loading the right modules, it will be assigned a different interface name than your wireless card. Most likely it will end up being eth0, while your wireless card will be named something else. So it's unlikely to interfere--unless you end up putting in some lines to auto-configure (i.e., assigning it an IP or running dhcp on that interface) that card a boot-up.

There is huge output from cardmgr. What will be the next step
in order to go online with the wifi card?

Don't know about the output. But to go beyond the point you're at, what you really need is called (I think) wireless-tools. That will give you the most flexibility in connecting to available networks. What I do (not using BL, unfortunately) once the wireless NIC's module is successfully loaded, is issue

iwlist scan

from the CLI. If you've installed wireless-tools, the iwlist command will be on the system. The results of that command will provide you information on all wireless networks within range. It will tell you each network's essid (the network's name), broadcasting channel, and whether it's an encrypted network (among other things). After that, you decide which network you want to connect with and configure your card to use it. You do that by issuing

iwconfig wlan0 essid networkname channel #

(iwconfig is another utility included in wireless-tools). wlan0 should be replaced by the correct interface name for your PCMCIA card--not sure what name the Avaya card gets. # should be replaced by the channel number the iwlist output told you the network in question is broadcasting on. Then, just issue iwconfig on its own (no arguments) to check whether the card took the settings. Once it has, then issue udhcpc wlan0 (replacing wlan0 with the name of your NIC). If you've selected an open, unencrypted network, your card should get an IP offer and you'll be connected to that network. Hopefully that network is, in turn, connected to the web and you can do your internet stuff.

If you have your own wireless router, the process could be alot different. For example you may run an open network (not recommended) with dhcp turned on. In that case you might be able to skip the iwlist scan step, not even needing to tell your card which network to connect to--you can just run udhcpc on the wireless interface and go online. In fact, you could just try this as a first step. If there is more than one network available it might not get you connected, and if all that is available is encrypted neworks, you won't get an IP. So using iwlist will be more informative as your first step.

James