baslinux - Re: [BL] Configuring Pure-Ftpd and Running the Server Part-Time (was:Re: Ping Ron Clarke FTP)

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Configuring Pure-Ftpd and Running the Server Part-Time (was:Re: Ping Ron Clarke FTP)
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 15:05:25 +1000

Hi Lee,

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:26:39 +0000, Lee Forrest wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 09:32:04PM +0000, Lee Forrest wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 12:06:41PM +1000, Ron Clarke wrote:

> What I want here is just a simple, secure, anonymous FTP server
> that I can bring up when someone wants to download files that
> I have here, or to send me files. No messing with logins or
> passwords.

> Here's what I have now:

> I downloaded the README and tarball and installed the
> pure-ftpd package, both found here:

> http://www.ausreg.com/bl/bl3/

> The I created a user account for "ftp" with adduser, with no
> password (just hit Enter/Return twice and ignore the complaint).
> This also created /home/ftp. I Changed the shell in /etc/passwd
> from /bin/sh to /bin/true.

> When I want to bring it up I run the following command:

> /usr/bin/pure-ftpd -b -B -c 10 -C 2 -e -K -r -R

I do much the same, but with an executable script called: ftp-up

> (These, and other options, are found in the README and the
> manpage.)

> -b

> Be broken. Turns on some compatibility hacks for
> shoddy clients, and for broken Netfilter gateways.

> (for windows users)

> -B

> Start the standalone server in background (daemo
> nize).

I simply put a " & " at the end of my script.

> -c clients [10]

> Allow a maximum of clients to be connected. clients must be at
> least 1, and if you combine it with -p it will be forced down to
> half the number of ports specified by -p. If more than clients
> are connected, new clients are rejected at once, even clients
> wishing to upload, or to log in as normal users. Therefore, it is
> advisable to use -m as primary overload protection. The default
> value is 50.

> (paranoia)

> -C max connection per ip [2]

> Limit the number of simultanous connections coming from the same
> IP address. This is yet another very effective way to prevent
> stupid denial of services and bandwidth starvation by a single
> user. It works only when the server is launched in stan dalone
> mode (if you use a super-server, it is sup posed to do that).
> If the server is launched with -C 2 , it doesn't mean that the
> total number of connection is limited to 2. But the same client,
> coming from the same machine (or at least the same IP), can't
> have more than two simultaneous connec tions. This features needs
> some memory to track IP addresses, but it's recommended to use
> it.

> (paranoia)

> -e

> Only allow anonymous users to log in.

> -K

> Allow users to resume and upload files, but NOT to delete them.
> Directories can be removed, but only if they are empty.

> -r

> Never overwrite existing files. Uploading a file
> whoose name already exists cause an automatic
> rename. Files are called xyz.1, xyz.2, xyz.3, etc.

> -R

> Disallow users (even non-anonymous ones) usage of the CHMOD
> command. On hosting services, it may prevent newbies from doing
> mistakes, like setting bad permissions on their home directory.
> Only root can use CHMOD when this switch is enabled.

> (paranoia)

That seems to be all in order. :)

> Seem to be working just fine, though it hasn't been tested. I
> see this with ps when I run the command:

> 267 root 516 S pure-ftpd (SERVER)

> It's logging to /var/log/syslog.

> To kill it I do:

> kill -9 267

And I type: killall pure-ftpd

> That look okay, Ron?

Yep, looks good.

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke
Tadpole Tunes http://www.tadpoletunes.com
-- This mail was written by a user of the Arachne Browser - http://arachne.cz/

  • Re: [BL] Configuring Pure-Ftpd and Running the Server Part-Time (was:Re: Ping Ron Clarke FTP), Ron Clarke, 02/28/2007