baslinux - Re: [BL] Ping Ron Clarke FTP

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Ping Ron Clarke FTP
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:06:41 +1000

Hi Lee,

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:33:52 +0000, Lee Forrest wrote:

> Ron,

> Regarding your pure-ftpd package.

Actually, I have never claimed it as mine. I collected it from the
DeliLinux distro before it turned into a Debian-based distro. I thought
I made this clear on many occasions.

There IS a website for pure-ftp, you can Google for it or go directly
to: http://www.pureftpd.org/

Documentation is also there (for the latest, I have no doubt). :)

> According to the docs, to set up anonymous FTP, you need a user account,
> without a shell, named "ftp".

I think that comes as a default in BL distros.

> Does that account need a password?

I don't think so.

> Should it have one?

I don't think so - that is what "anonymous" means.

> Does it
> need a getty running in order for people to access it?

You have lost me. :)

> This isn't clear in the docs.

Anonymous ftp means that anyone can log into it but can only access
the /home/ftp directory and any subdirectories.

Is this in one of the BL distros, or one you are building yourself ?

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke
Tadpole Tunes http://www.tadpoletunes.com