baslinux - Re: [BL] File Manager/Browsers (was: long filenames) 57

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] File Manager/Browsers (was: long filenames) 57
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 07:08:48 +1100

Hi Folks,

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 04:11:30 +0000
Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com> wrote:

> I am guessing that DOS doesn't have aliases, so you have never
> noticed this problem.

DOS can use aliases. At its simplest, write a batch file, e.g.

alias1.bat
------------
realname.ext %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6

which will do the job and allows (in this case 6) commandline parameters.

> All file manager-browsers have limitations of some kind, and
> not being able to exit the utility and find yourself _in_ the
> directory you are viewing is another serious design flaw.

Newer mc has this capability, if you want to switch it on.

And in DOS, DOS Controller has this as the default.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke