baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 02:44:12 +1030

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 23:53:22 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:

> I found Arachne much more confusing and somewhat buggy. BL1 worked for me
> right away when I read the instructions to install it to hard drive.

Arachne worked for me right away when I installed it, once I
found out the stuff I needed to give the wizard.

Most of the problems with Arachne have their solutions already
documented somewhere in those files that come with the
installation package. Not all, but most of them.

Of course the documentation is a bit of a mess and could benefit
with tidying up, but there is one heck of a lot of stuff in
there.

The examples files alone told me more than I needed to know about
writing a simple HTML file, with just a few whistles and bells.

>>> This email sent from a 1Mby 20Mhz 80286.... who needs more ?
> I have sent emails from an XT with no hard drive. Is that all you want to
> do with your computer?

No, ma'am! I wanna do one heck of a lot more, including up- and
downloading files, writing HTML pages and testing them, and so
on. And that's just the stuff I can do with Arachne.

Other than that, there is one heck of a lot on my machine that I
use regularly, and one heck of a lot more that I use just
occasionally. And all of it apart from a few tiny bits is
DOS-based.

> I hear that later computers were more energy efficient.

The laptops may be. But those big boxes that run 24/7 just gotta
use more power than my older units that run maybe 3-4 hours a day
max, and are powered off at the wall outlet the rest of the time.

> Welcome back to the list.

Thank you.

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v