baslinux - Re: [BL] NFS on BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] NFS on BL3
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 00:05:21 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

I've been doing some work on one of my old laptops and needed
some extra workspace, so I fed it a network filesystem (NFS)
from my desktop. Here's how:

Step 1 - Establish a TCP/IP network between the two computers
activate the network cards on both computers (insmod)
assign address to each card (ifconfig)
check the connection (ping)

insmod 3c59x for both computers (same network card, 3Com)
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2
Computer on left - 192.168.1.1 = server address
Computer on right - 192.168.1.2 = client address

Step 2 - Activate NFS server
edit /etc/exports ---> / client_address(rw)

/ 192.168.1.2 added to computer on left (and vice versa for the one on the
right so it can be used the same way another time)

rpc.portmap
rpc.mountd
rpc.nfsd

I tried this on the server (192.168.1.1, on the left).

These files are in SW7.1 tcpip1.tgz but not in BL3 - should I add them? I
get 'not found' when I try to use them anyway.

I put all three files and also the three modules into a package:
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.2.26/rpc-BL3.tgz
I also put the three modules separately in that directory.

Step 3 - Activate NFS client

Computer on the right, 192.168.1.2

insmod sunrpc (not needed for bzimage.big)
"can't handle sections of type 256"
insmod lockd (not needed for bzimage.big)
"error reading ELF section headers"
insmod nfs (not needed for bzimage.big)
"can't handle sections of type 3584"

This worked with the 'big' kernel but not with the regular P1 kernel and modules. Someone else please confirm the problem with the P1 and then try the standard BL3 kernel.

rpc.portmap
"not found"

Same for pentium kernel 2.2.26 with BL2. I had 'can't handle sections of
type" problems recently with some other modules, I forget which, that
worked with 2.4.31 kernels but not 2.2.26 or 2.2.16. I am using the .p1
kernel since non-pentium kernels don't boot on two computers due to memory
confusion. I just downloaded the modules from Steven's BL3 site.

mount -t nfs server_address:/ /mnt
Did not even try this.

It worked with the big kernel.
mount -t nfs 192.168.1.1:/ mnt

Mounted it on /mnt of 192.168.1.2 (computer on right can how read files from computer on left).

Should I be able to mount BL2 from one computer on BL3 of another computer? I have not tried yet to run programs from the other computer.
Can this sort of setup be used to share a dialup connection the way the serial/telnet network could? I have server and client reversed from the way I would need in order to try it. If so, do we need a firewall or something?

Please note that both the NFS server and client run happily

Not for me yet.

Now they do. I can cd /mnt/sbin and type ./ping www.grex.org and it works.

on the default BL3 kernel. Three modules are required for
the client (but not the server) when the default kernel is
used. When the big kernel is used, no modules are required
for the client.

What do I need to add to my 2.4.31 kernel to avoid using sunrpc, lockd, and nfs, in case they won't insmod there either? (I sort of recall the problem with the other modules was only for older kernels, except for usb_serial the problem was with the newer kernel not accepting modules).