baslinux - Re: [BL] Compaq Deskpro and Presario versus Basiclinux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Compaq Deskpro and Presario versus Basiclinux
  • Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 01:45:11 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

zgv - I have zgv-uclibc and the Delilinux libc6 zgv on the
computer.

Have you tried the zgv package for BL1 ?
You will find the link here:
--------------------------------
http://www.volny.cz/basiclinux1/
--------------------------------

I will be happy to try it.

BL3 with 2.2.26 kernel works with zgv-uclibc if I add the
required uclibc libraries

The BL1 version should work with the default BL3 libraries
(although you do need to add svgalib and libvgagl).

After running BL3 and BL2 on two IDE drives and another scsi drive in the Compaq computer, where Xvesa from BL3 worked perfectly everywhere and zgv delilinux worked in BL2, we removed those drives and plugged back the original Compaq 8GB scsi drive. 'controller failure'. The scsi controller had somehow reset itself to boot from ID 4 instead of ID 0. I set it back to defaults. Again controller failure. If I plugged in an IDE drive as well it booted and when I hit F1 to continue it found the drive anyway. Crazy computer.

zgv and links2 graphical now segfaulted. They worked on the other three drives in the same computer, cloned software. Xvesa crashed on exit and could not reboot. It worked perfectly on the other three drives.

So this drive is a big part of the problem. We don't have another large scsi drive.

We then moved it from the 15" Compaq (sic) monitor used in our test setup (which would not display more than 800 resolution with XF86Config) to the Viewsonic 19" monitor and booted BL2, and zgv and links2 -g (svgalib) worked perfectly. Xvesa still crashes on exit.

I set BL3 and BL2 to use xinit and an X server (Mach 64 and svgalib both seem to work with Steven's XF86Config).

I will try the BL1 zgv tomorrow in BL3 (where zgv still did not work even on a 19" monitor).

We cam really close to giving away this computer. We want the scsi controller to run a scanner but it appears to be board specific (a cable plugs into the motherboard where it says SCSI).

I highly recommend against using Compaq Deskpro 400MHz computers with scsi controllers and drives for BL unless you like playing that sort of game.