baslinux - Re: [BL] Compaq Deskpro and Presario versus Basiclinux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Compaq Deskpro and Presario versus Basiclinux
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:58:14 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, Karolis Lyvens wrote:

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 11:23:31PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:
1. Make a lilo.conf in /etc/ .
Neither book tells me which /etc to use if I have several linux
partitions. Do I put the same file in BL3 and BL2 /etc ?

I think that lilo.conf is needed only for "lilo" or "lilo -v"
command. It is used for specifying options for putting lilo to MBR,
so it's not relevant to which /etc it is put, as long as "lilo -v"
sees that /etc/lilo.conf and builds lilo according to options in it.

Thanks. I can also specify where to look for it:
lilo -C ./lilo.conf -v

I tried making a lilo floppy boot diskette (to an ext2-formatted boot floppy disk - one book said to make a minix-formatted floppy) and got back an error message about 0x100.

lilo.conf has boot=/dev/fd0 (instead of boot=/dev/hda for hard disk)

I put the same kernel into a /boot directory in both linux partitions.

lilo.conf specifies image=/boot/kernelimage

Should I instead put the full path to the image file?
image=/dev/hdb1/boot/kernelimage

Do I have to copy boot.b to /boot on the ext2 partition or will lilo copy it for me? The ramdisk version already has it in /boot.

Will lilo -u restore the original MBR or do I need to manually make a backup of it? (This is why I am experimenting first with floppy disk).
I have DOS and linux, not Windows NT or XP or OS/2.

I don't think using ATI Rage X driver would work here, because the SVGA X driver did load and display properly but then crashed on exit, and for svgalib it identifies the chip correctly when booted with LILO, but crashes when booted with loadlin, when I use zgv. So it is not a driver problem but a loadlin problem. Therefore I need LILO or some other non-DOS loader.

Steven, does the SVGA X driver work with your ATI video chips?