baslinux - Re: [BL] USB modules

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Christof Lange" <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB modules
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 11:15:22 -0700

(received @ 10:10 AM U.S. Pacific time)
cce AT volny.cz wrote:
On 1 Jun 06 at 16:32, davidjmoberg AT gmail.com wrote:

>Christof Lange wrote:
>>
>> 2. Which modules need to be loaded for a generic memory stick and
>> which parameters are expected?
>
>For a memory stick, insmod scsi_mod.o and sr_mod.o (scsi modules) from
>Slackware 7.1, then insmod usbcore.o. Then try the usb-uhci.o,
>usb-ohci.o, and ohci.o modules in turn until one inserts (each one is

Another typo which I did not catch. Thanks for realizing what I meant.

>for a specific USB port motherboard or add-on card chipset). Finally,
>insert usb-storage.o, and check dmesg for details about which device
>to mount.
>
>Please report if your memory stick works - mine does not work with
>either these drivers or the BL3.40 drivers (but does with a 2.4
>kernel).

Thank you David, this is was most valuable information for me.
I did not know, that scsi_mod and sd_mod would be needed, too.

The usb-storage driver emulates a SCSI drive, so you need the SCSI
drivers to access the drive.

Unfortunately on my ACER TravelMate Notebook I did not succeed
(yet).

May be you can understand what happens.

Install script:
--------------
insmod scsi_mod 1>protocol 2>&1
insmod sd_mod 1>>protocol 2>&1
insmod usbcore 1>>protocol 2>&1
insmod uhci 1>>protocol 2>&1
insmod usb-uhci 1>>protocol 2>&1
insmod usb-ohci 1>>protocol 2>&1
insmod usb-storage 1>>protocol 2>&1
dmesg >info

Output in file protocol:
-----------------------
Using /lib/modules/2.2.16/scsi/scsi_mod.o
Using /lib/modules/2.2.16/scsi/sd_mod.o
Using /lib/modules/2.2.16/usb/usbcore.o
/lib/modules/2.2.16/usb/uhci.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
Using /lib/modules/2.2.16/usb/uhci.o
Hint: this error can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.2.16/usb/usb-uhci.o: init_module: Device or resource
busy
Using /lib/modules/2.2.16/usb/usb-uhci.o
Hint: this error can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
Using /lib/modules/2.2.16/usb/usb-ohci.o

Since this usb-ohci module inserted successfully, this means that you
have an OHCI USB host controller in your laptop. You can remove uhci
and usb-uhci from your script now that you know that you have an ohci.
However, another computer may not necessarily have an OHCI, so you
should use the original script if you are testing a different
computer.

Using /lib/modules/2.2.16/usb/usb-storage.o

Information at the end of dmesg:
--------------------------------
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.232 $ time 18:44:00 Nov 25 2005
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xc4826000, IRQ 11
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.

Success so far.

After loading usb-storage I get on the screen
a loop of messages (output from usb.c) saying:

USB new device connect, assigned device number 2
USB device not responding, giving up (error=-32)
USB new device connect assigned device number -1
USB device not accepting new address (error=-110)
USB disconnect on device -1

Any ideas? I will try the modules on my oldet desktop
that obviously has more friendly USB ports.

It appears that your memory stick is not supported by the 2.2.16 USB
driver. The BL3.40 kernel supports about the same amount of USB
hardware as the drivers that I built for 2.2.16, so the memory likely
will not work with that kernel either. 2.4 has much better support for
USB storage devices, so you probably need to upgrade to at least Linux
kernel version 2.4.0 if you want to use your memory stick in Linux.

Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov