baslinux - Re: [BL] Dual-boot MS-DOS6.2 / BL3.32

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Dual-boot MS-DOS6.2 / BL3.32
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 07:50:43 +1200

Kim B.Christensen wrote:

> I have MS-DOS on /dev/hda1 and BL on /dev/hda2. The problem
> seems that i need either hda1 or 2 as bootable

Normally, hda1 is bootable (system boots into DOS).
Then you use loadlin.exe to boot DOS.

> so i can only use one or the other system...

On my system (which boots into DOS) my autoexec.bat
runs a menu which gives me a choice between various
DOS applications and booting the Linux partition
(via loadlin.exe).

> fdisk & lilo seems to be a somewhat more scraped version than normal?

Sounds like you installed the floppy version of BasicLinux,
not the DOS version. The DOS version gives you loadlin.exe.

The fdisk in BasicLinux is a small version, but it should
be able to do everything you need. The lilo in BasicLinux
(floppy version) is a genuine lilo. It is capable of doing
a dual-boot -- just put the correct instructions in lilo.conf

I don't use lilo myself, so I don't have a lot of experience
configuring lilo.conf, but you probably want something like
this:
------------------
boot=/dev/hda
image=/boot/zimage
label=BasicLinux
root=/dev/hda2
read-write
other=/dev/hda1
label=DOS
After putting that in /etc/lilo.conf execute: lilo -v

> Any good (well, better than mine) ideas?

Personally, I think a DOS/loadlin boot is easier than lilo.
However, lilo works (for users who know what they are doing).

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru