baslinux - Re: [BL] slow upload speed, was Re: multiple systems (among other things) -- was Re: interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] slow upload speed, was Re: multiple systems (among other things) -- was Re: interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 17:56:16 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Samual Acorn wrote:

On 28/12/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
I have two modems and was using the same init string with both (S15=128
added). Both are USR but only one is apparently Sportster.

The S15=128 disabled MNP in the Sporster, but was enabling it in the other
USR. I changed that init string to AT&F1 (specific to USR, hardware flow
control) Now they are both V42bis (eznet log) and the non-Sportster has
doubled its upload speed. They both connect at 50666/31200.

MNP should have been disabled by default.... useless in todays world...

I removed S32=34 in the Sportster string and it stays at V42bis.
In the other USR is appears to turn ON MNP instead of V42bis.
I will delete it everywhere.

S15=128 seems to keep the Sportster from attempting to use X2, so it negotiates and connects faster. The non-Sportster boings for a lot longer.

S32=34 stops the Sportster from trying to connect with SX2 but has no
effect on the other USR.
It does not stop the Sportster, I was wrong.

A comparison of ati output reveals the internal non-Sportster is a bit
newer. It uploaded a bit faster, but the Sportster had a higher actual
peak speed for download.

ati6 - gave the upload and download speeds, 50666/31200 for both, but the
external actually connected at 53333 and this was the peak speed.
How can it run faster than it connected?

the initial connect speed is an idea... not an absolute... the modem
will change speeds (up and down) throughout the connection as line
conditions change...

It connected at 53333 but ran at 50666?

ati7:

Non-sportster: FLASH date 4/22/98, 4.7.35
V32bis, V80, V34+, X2, V90
Why is V42bis not listed?

probably doesnt support it(or a lazy programmer didnt add it to the
ATI string reply).... and is using v34 rather than v42 if you disabled
MNP... check for upgrades...

It uploads faster without MNP and when I connect eznet log says V42bis.

Did post 1998 modems eliminate MNP? Most of ours are 1997 because we got

they didnt elimitate it... but use it as a fallback if the modem on
the other end of the line doesnt support v34 v44 or v42... actually
all modems that support at least v42 should... but yours seem not
to.... are you sure they are using v42? if they only support v34 then
they will try to use MNP....

eznet says V42bis, at connect time

them free as 33.6K, and upgraded. They need to be X2 to start with before
you can upgrade to V90, not just 33.6K. 1997 was the year of three
standards, after which only V90 or V92 (or ?). What was the third, 56
Flex?

x2 and flex were the starters... they were proprietary... not
standards... v90 was the standardized version (using the best parts of
both) and v92 is a recent addition adding faster uploads(pcm upstream)
and better compression(v44)....

Is the upload same speed as download? How fast would v90/v44 upload a .jpg?

what are the model numbers of your modems? (sticker on the modem)

One is internal, the other Sportster 0459. Case says 1995, but they were originally used with 14.4K modems.

When dialed to the bbs at 14.4 I don't get the 20 sec freezeups, at 56K I do.

FTP downloads get progressively faster, to about 3K, and uploads get slower, to about 3K. I think the long wait at the end of kermit file transfer (with Window Slots decreasing from 30 to 1) is when the modem buffer finishes unloading, and the 25K decreasing to 2K is because it is getting data faster than it can send it. Is there any advantage in setting port (connect) speed with pppsetup to 115200 instead of 57600?